Packing healthy travel snacks may sound like a silly thing to do. After all, there are plenty of food options at just about every rest area or airport. However, there are many reasons to consider packing at least a few healthy travel snacks on your next trip.
Firstly, any seasoned traveler can share a horror story about a time they were stuck on a plane, on the tarmac for up to three hours with limited water and no snacks.
If you travel enough, this scenario is bound to occur and you will be thankful to have a snack while you are stuck.
Packing your own healthy snacks will also help you resist the temptation to buy something unhealthy at the airport.
Most importantly, if you have committed to staying on track with your diet or following a specific meal plan, packing your own healthy travel snacks ensures you will stay on track.
Healthy Travel Snack Ideas
- Fresh Fruit (firm fruit is best like a whole apple, so it will not get smashed)
- Protein or nut bars
- Pretzels (in a sealed container or bag to avoid getting smashed)
- Popcorn Chips (Popcorners or Popchips)
- Crackers (healthy cracker like Mary’s Gone Crackers)
- Rice Cakes
- Protein Powder in a shaker bottle (add milk or water post security or in-flight)
- Kale Chips
- Beef (or other types) of jerky
- PB&J Sandwich or Wrap
- Peanut butter/other nut butters
- Seeds (sunflower, pumpkin, etc.)
- Granola or healthy, low sugar cereal
- Trail Mix of your choice (be mindful of high-sugar options)
Example of a DIY travel meal
Breakfast: Greek yogurt + dry cereal
Snack: Grapes + nuts
Lunch: Turkey & veggie wrap/ sandwich + apple + granola bar
Snack: Fresh cut veggies + hummus
Dinner: 1 Bag of Pre-Mixed Salad + olive oil/dressing (add this at home & shake with lettuce, discard remaining liquid) + chopped vegetables + rotisserie or grilled chicken (you can mix all of this in the salad bag to save space and avoid bring an extra container).
Needless to say, staying fit and eating well while traveling is never easy and takes a lot of forethought and preparation.
Hopefully this list makes the process a little easier (and yummier) on you! Safe travels!
Want more content from TJC? Check us out on Facebook!